~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Saturday, September 06, 2008

This Crazy Online Community

The internet has obviously changed lives. Changed the world. It's really had an interesting affect on my life. I am a social person, but don't like people. It's this weird dichotomy where I want to be social on a theoretical basis, but when it comes to actually doing it, I avoid it. Someone recently teased me for being "a Ted Kaczynski" (the Unabomber), obviously minus the bombing.

When we first got the internet in our home (1997), I immediately joined music email lists. It ended up being a great way for me to be social and discuss the things I love the most (at the time it was Sleater-Kinney and Elliott Smith, both of whom I still love). I could do that and still be in my house and be unsocial...

Eventually these lists lead me to actually meeting two friends I still see on a regular basis - Bob and Asher - but many more friends I've met fewer times and keep in touch with regularly. It also lead to my jaunt along the east coast in 1998 following Sleater-Kinney. I traveled with Jimmy, Kristen, and Mo, all from the Sleater-Kinney list, and went from Detroit to Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

There are many stories like that...but, today, I hung out with Asher, who was visiting from San Francisco. I met Asher online as well. He used to travel here often for shows, and I'd go to San Francisco. We've traveled to Seattle and Olympia together. He's given me great live music videos and tapes/CD's, which he used to record himself at shows. He's a good friend, who I usually get to see at least a couple times a year. It had been awhile since our last visit, though. He's been working for Amazon.com and traveling quite a bit. It was good to hang out with him for a couple of hours and get caught up.

He was here for Musicfest NW, seeing lots of bands - like three a day. I don't have his energy, but I was at the Vampire Weekend show last night, that Asher was not at, which was also part of the festival.
Asher & I
-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-
-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-

An internet friend has also touched me this week in a way I never thought she would. A woman that I have been on lists with for about 10 years, but never met, passed away. I think the reason it was hard is because it was so unexpected. She was in good health. She was my age. Her autopsy revealed nothing.

She and I have exchanged music. We have exchanged long rambling emails. I just discovered I'm one of her top myspace friends...She recently joined my favorite music email list and one of the few I am still on, a general music discussion list. She added new energy to the list. My friend, Bob, commented what a great addition she was. So, not only had I met her on these large volume lists, I indirectly got her to come over to a little list, with basically just a bunch of friends chatting...

Her name was Sydney/"Franny". You will be missed Franny. Even though I never met you in person, I have thought about you since I got the news yesterday. It's sad that I won't open my email inbox in the morning and see an email from "Frances Glass" or "Franny" or Sydney again. Like you, I'm not a religious person, but rest easy.

Like I said, this online world is strange, and as lame as it sounds, it's a community. It's an important part of my life anyway.

4 comments:

Caver said...

I'm very sad about your friend. xoxo.

Anthony said...

Thanks for remembering Sydney, Janice, and also thanks for all your wishes the last few days. I was thinking this morning, strangely enough, that I think we actually all did meet for a second in the throng outside Tramps in NY when Helium and Sleater-Kinney played. I know I met you for like a millisecond, and that Sydney was there so I think the real and virtual worlds crossed streams for a tiny moment. I wish you'd had a chance to "really" meet her. With love, Anthony

Heaven's Eye Phtotography said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friendz:( Cyber-world, as I like to call it, is just like real world and it hurts just the same if you are ever to lose a cyber-friend. I'm glad you got to spend time with Asher though. K

Janice Ordal said...

anthony - i know jimmy was speaking with someone outside that show in 1998, but i still don't think we ever met. later i found out from him it was you. when i saw your pic years later on myspace, i don't remember you. even though i am miss anti-social, i never forget a name and almost never forget a face.

whether we ever physically met, i feel like i know both you and sydney.

--janice