~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Monday, September 22, 2008

Seven Year Itch? Never!

Today, September 22, 2008, is Dennis and my seventh wedding anniversary. We have been together almost 14 years, but got married in 2001.

It was strange getting married so close to 9/11/2001. We planned our wedding in March of that year, so we weren't marrying because of 9/11, like a lot of folks ended up doing. We just figured we'd been together for seven years and we had a two year old. Maybe it was time to get married.

When 9/11 happened we debated not marrying - since our wedding was in Las Vegas. Our plan was to get married at the Candlelight Wedding Chapel; eat at Postrio, as a reception of sorts (restaurant at the Venetian); and, stay at Caesars Palace. After 9/11, my fear of flying almost kept me from going. I mean, who would want to fly after the events of that day? I decided it was probably the safest time EVER to fly, so we went ahead with it.

There were long waits at the airports and that part of travel wasn't very convenient, but Vegas was EMPTY. Our VERY expensive room at Caesars was knocked to half the original price, because occupancy was so low. Dennis and I have spent lots of time in Vegas. I have been there at least 10 times. It was amazingly uncrowded, compared to usual.

Only our immediate families were there. Lisa - my closest and oldest friend - also came. Caver was pregnant with Cade. Elvis joined us. Dennis would have been happy having Elvis marry us, but I wanted somewhat of a traditional ceremony. Elvis sat in the pews for the ceremony and then serenaded us afterwards.

It was one of the best times of my life. Dennis is a wonderful husband and father. Just a note about this wonderful husband and father: he went to Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds with his friend tonight! I encouraged it, because he literally goes out about twice a year. Literally. I'm always out with friends.

That's what I love about our marriage. We don't make each other do anything and are both so easygoing about any holiday, really. Part of that is realizing that you shouldn't wait for a special day to appreciate your family. Part of that is due to Dennis' occupation (Energy Trader) - we often have to celebrate holidays on days different from the actual day.

At the top of this post is our fave wedding picture (our bro-in-law, Riccardo, took it), but no current day picture of Dennis and I. Dennis bristles at the thought of appearing on my blog (that is why the picture of him at the bowling alley is a rare one). Instead, below is a picture of the beautiful orange roses he gave me today...yes, our family's obsession with orange continues.

2 comments:

Shannon Sewell said...

congrats you guys :)

i totally forgot your dress... it was so beautiful. and your hair... you looked gorgeous that day...

~S

Caver said...

Really? 7 years? Ohhh. Beautiful.