~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Saturday, August 23, 2008

With a Little Help From My Friends

I saw some more old friends today, one of whom I've known for almost 20 years (Mike) and the other over 20 (Rachel). Rachel and Mike's roommate, Sylvia, were having their birthdays today and yesterday, so Mike had a barbecue for them. Yvette and I drove out (to Rainier, OR, where Mike lives) for the festivities.

Mike is a guy who's a bit older than me. I was introduced to him by Rachel, actually. He was very good to me through my college years. He bought me a 25" color t.v. for my college graduation. It's not the t.v. that's significant, it's that he would think to offer such a generous gift - overly generous. He always looked out for me. My parents appreciated him too. Just one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet.


l to r - yvette, rachel, mike

I knew Rachel in high school and we got into our share of trouble...that seems to be an ongoing theme in my posts...don't know how I ever became somewhat successful, because I was always getting myself into some kind of trouble. Luckily, I stayed on the right side of the law - geesh...anyway, Rachel took a road trip or two with me. She was just one of those gals who I always adored...we were sort of kindred spirits. Over the years we've gone our separate ways, but see each other from time to time at Mike's. Her goal is to eventually become a Rabbi, but she's currently working for the Jewish Federation of Greater Portland and teaching at Temple Beth Israel.

It was fun to see some old friends (again!). It's been a summer of nostalgia for me.

2 comments:

Caver said...

What is Yvette? Chopped liver?

Janice Ordal said...

nope - i love yvette! i haven't posted long blogs explaining who any of the people I see regularly are. for instance, you, yvette, dennis, elaine...you guys don't get explanation. you'll be appearing on so many posts, people will know you inside and out. :)