~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Kindergarten Ain't What It Used To Be

This blogging thing requires I be organized and think ahead. Forgot the camera today, when I took Finn to his kindergarten assessment. My little baby is growing up!! My kids have the best personalities and they get more fun as they grow up. It is sad, though, as their little voices change...faces thinning out, not babyish anymore. Finn will still grab onto my legs and hide behind them. I know that's coming to an end soon. He's tall!

He did that today when we got to the assessment. Mrs. Becic, who was Ashe's kindergarten teacher and who we adore, came out and said hello. Finn quickly hid and got shy. She lead him to the classroom and I did some forms right outside the door. He slowly opened up...he ended up doing such a good job. Ashe was a little savant and learned letters and numbers without even trying. He couldn't write going into kindergarten, but he could recognize all the letters. Finn can write, but has been dreading kindergarten because he hates "that letter and number stuff". He could cut and paste and draw and sculpt (with pipe cleaners and crumpled paper mostly) forever, but don't give him any of that book learnin'. When she asked him what "c is for", he didn't know. She said "C is for cat". Finn said "I have a cat. He's white." That tells you where his mind is. Nonetheless, he was able to recognize most of his letters. He almost counted to 20. Another thing of note: there are three(!!) Finn's at Laurelhurst in the fall. So much for my unusual names. Mrs. Becic said Finn is very ready for kindergarten. Socially, he definitely is. He'll be just fine. I'll just be a pathetic mess.

Here's my Finn-y, when he was a baby, with his big bro. Finn turns six in a month (Sept 25).

1 comment:

Caver said...

Ohhh. So sweet! You know that you're going to have to have another baby, now, right?