~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Down on the Farm


We had a great vacation last week (Aug 14-Aug 19). We went to the Sierra Foothills (Garden Valley, California, 47 miles from Lake Tahoe, CA), where our friends, Barbara & Rusty, have property. I went there every summer for much of my youth. When I didn't spend it on their farm, I went to their Bay Area home.

I wanted the boys to experience what I did as a kid. I wanted them to be able to see something other than a major US city (they've been to Vegas, San Francisco, and Seattle, Palm Springs). It's fun for me, being in cities, but I knew they'd enjoy something else. I also was sentimental to re-live my childhood, in a sense. I mean, I have actually spent time with the B&R in recent years. I see them all the time, but I think the last time I was on the farm was 2002.

Matthew brought Cornhol(io :), a game that people like to play in the city (SF in Chrissy Field)

The boys got to roast marshmallows; "sleep" in a tent; see the sheep; paddle the boat on the pond; and, spend some time with my oldest friends. Barbara was my babysitter from the time I was two years old, and I grew up with her, Rusty and their three boys. One of them lived with my mom when I was a teenager. I love B&R as if they were my mother and father. I adore them and their boys, and their boys' families. Again, the luckiest lady on the planet I am, to have such great people in my life!!





Elaine drove to the farm with us, and Dennis flew down to meet us for a few days.



No comments: