~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Scorpios in Seattle

Once again, I'm going to say it: I'm so, so lucky. I have the best life. I don't constantly say it to brag, but to remind myself of it. It's so easy to think of what I don't have or what I wish I had or who I wish I could be...you know, I've got more than most. I've got THE BEST people in my life - friends and family. I don't know how I could ever complain.



Well, my last weekend was another example of this. Molly and I went to Seattle to celebrate our birthdays. Three years ago, we started a tradition that we go to Seattle as our presents to ourselves/each other, since our birthdays are only five days apart. Mol's is Nov 5, and mine is Nov 10.

We go for one night (about 36 hours). We stay at a nice hotel, eat good food, and shop. If we went for a longer period, surely we'd broaden our activities, but it's just long enough to get in good eating and shopping.

We got there early on Saturday, had lunch at the Red Fin. We've been there before. It's a yummy Japanese place in the Hotel Max. Delish!!

We shopped at H&M. Molly and I have the same fashion taste. Not similar - but pretty much the same. Last year in Seattle - I basically brought stuff to her dressing room and she purchased it. :) I sold Molly on H&M and the bargains there. I'd been to the ones in San Francisco and Chicago, but she'd never been. She got like 52 things for like 12 cents. ;) Not really, but pretty close. But seriously, when we went to Sway & Cake, a cute boutique just doors down from H&M, Molly couldn't even bring herself to buy anything there. Like myself, her clothing taste tends toward the expensive, but even she had to lay off after all the bargains at H&M...

We made reservations a week prior to eat at a place Caver recommended - The Purple Cafe & Wine Bar (hmmm...RED Fin, PURPLE Cafe...there's a theme here). Just check the website. It's too amazing to even describe: an extensive small plates menu, and many regular dinners. Molly said it's the best by-the-glass wine list she's ever seen. She and her husband (especially her husband) are really big wine people, so that's a big thing for her to say. IT WAS INCREDIBLE. Amazing. Thanks Cave. Included here is a picture of our tapas.













from l to r: crispy pork shoulder, crab and fennel salad, hummus with carmelized walnuts
(the best tasting hummus I've EVER, EVER had - the hummus itself, not necessarily the walnut garnish), we also had a chorizo empenada, that i realized is not here. the cheese plate is at the front of the photo...everything was soooooo great.

Our meal lasted until 11:30 or so; and, then we went back to our room at the beautiful Hyatt Olive 8. We loved the Grand Hyatt a couple of years ago. This was just as nice. We got a corner room, so huge and lots & lots of windows. Just perfect.

After eating at Gordon Biersch and buying our kids a few little gifts, we enjoyed a leisurely drive home. It's nice that we get 36 hours a year of uninterrupted time to get caught up on everything we've missed during the rest of the year.

Thanks, Miss Molly. I had the best time. Can't wait 'til next year.

1 comment:

treva dea said...

Good for you two! Sounds perfect. I sure do miss you guys and our dinners out.... Treva