~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Elliott Smith Essentials

I will have a new vacation blog for you when I am back in town, but until then, I did these music-related posts to hold you over while I am gone.

--------++++++++--------++++++++--------

As some of you may know, I'm a HUGE Elliott Smith freak. I saw him 10's of times (25? 30? - I keep ticket stubs, but many of his shows were pay-at-the-door) during his lifetime. I went to the memorial show in Los Angeles that Beck, Rilo Kiley, and others did for him early in November 2003, after he died. It devastated me - his death. It's been only recently that I can listen a little bit to his stuff. He's so talented and it makes me sad that his music always has a taint on it. I will never really be happy listening to him. I still adore him, though.

I put together my favorite Elliott songs. I have his entire catalog. I can say this for very few artists. I know any person putting together this list would have their own take on it. This is just my personal choice Elliott listening. I started with the album I first heard of his - either/or. From there, I just put them in the order of their impact on me.

Enjoy.

Song Album
Rose Parade Either/Or
Angeles Either/Or
Say Yes Either/Or
Division Day Ballad of Big Nothing
Clementine Elliott Smith
St. Ides Heaven Elliott Smith
Christian Brothers Elliott Smith
Roman Candle Roman Candle
Condor Ave. Roman Candle
Waltz #2 (XO) XO
Bled White XO
Thirteen New Moon [Disc 1]
New Monkey New Moon [Disc 1]
Everything Reminds Me Of Her Figure 8
Junk Bond Trader Figure 8


1 comment:

Miki said...

Oh Janice, I get sad every time I remember that he's gone. Such a loss in so many ways.

RIP, Elliott.