~~click photos to change size and/or to view as slide show~~

Monday, May 10, 2010

New York City, Day IV, 25.Apr.2010

Luggage display (of those who came through Ellis Island)

I loved my fourth day in Manhattan. It was a lazy day, but I loved every minute of it. The four of us had tickets to go to Ellis Island, but I decided to bag it. I was not up for a ferry ride. I was not up for being on a tour/event that was a minimum of four hours. I wanted to just wing it and have some alone time. I love my travel mates as much as anyone I could have traveled with. I just liked the idea of exploring New York a little bit on my own.
Janet & Elaine at Ellis Island at the very center of this pic

Here are some of the Ellis Island pics that Dennis took.

I slept in...

I walked from our hotel at W. 75th & Broadway Streets to the NBA Store, at 52nd and 5th. I included a map here. It gives you some perspective of the distance, and also notes a FEW of the cool things I walked past in a 20 minute walk. You can really walk from one end of Manhattan to another fairly easily. (The borough of Manhattan, that is. Even the island itself is only about the length of a half marathon. Manhattan borough, though, is very walkable) I enjoy walking in NYC, too, so it's actually fun to me.

The NBA Store is very, very impressive...even for an average fan like me. Check out the picture of just the cool entry. I spent over an hour in there by myself, then another 1/2 hour or so in there with Dennis the next day when we went back together...I just loved all the cool things for the boys there. Yes, I
bought myself a Knicks tee shirt (or two), but it was the boys who really scored!!!

On the way to the NBA Store I walked right by the Museum of Modern Art, not on purpose. It was Sunday, remember, so it was absolutely packed. Probably 1000 people (I'm bad at estimating...but it was at least the amount of space - probably more - as the Crystal Ballroom in Portland, OR, and that holds 1000 people.) in the lobby alone!!! Waiting to buy tickets; sitting; gathering; who knows what/why...it was as if they were using it as a meeting/hanging out space. I just was glad this was NOT the day we chose to actually go through the museum as visitors. I was by myself, and just shopping. I bought some cool gifts for people and went on my way. More on this museum for day five's post!!
Walking back to the hotel, I walked by the Jekyll and Hyde Club, which was (coincidentally) on the list of things I wanted to see. I really just wanted to see the building. Make these pictures bigger. Imagine this, just walking down the street, in between regular office buildings. See the Starbucks next door. Trump Tower a block away. Just a strange, strange site. I should have gone in (and would have had the kids been with me), but just took pictures.

We had dinner at Arte Cafe, on W. 73rd, near Columbus. What a treat. Dennis and I saw it on one of our walks, and noted we wanted to go there at some point. It was in the bottom of a building. It was so darling...nice actually. It had pictures of Italians everywhere. Looked to be strictly locals in there. A family. A mom with her daughter. Just very low key. Somewhat out of the way. Just the best. Elaine's mussels were delicious, as was my pasta. The dessert of creme broulee was superb as well . Again, about a 7.0-7.5 on a scale of 1-10 (the creme broulee was a 10!!!) , but well executed. Just not extraordinary.

That's the end of the pleasantly mellow (for me!) day four. Day five soon!! I'm sure these are boring to anyone reading them...mostly my own travel journal. ; )

ELAINE & DENNIS, PROBABLY IN HEATED DISCUSSION!!

creme broulee
=-==-=-==-=-==-=-==-==-=-=
=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-==-=-

JANET AND I, HAPPILY NOT IN HEATED DISCUSSION!!

No comments: